YouLead improves career counseling in Sri Lanka to make it more in line with the market, so that young people have in-demand jobs and skills. YouLead ensures that high-quality, market-oriented career counseling is equally available to groups that have historically been left out of these services, including rural youth, girls and young women, and ethnic minorities.
For Teachers and Institutions
Working closely with key government ministries and private and public training institutes, YouLead takes a market-driven approach to designing and improving educational and vocational training curriculum and helps develop master trainers and counselors.
Follow Our Work
- In collaboration with the Sri Lankan Tourism Skills Committee, YouLead developed “Tourism Workforce Competitiveness Roadmap 2018-2023” which charts out the critical and practical measures the tourism sector in Sri Lanka must undertake to support youth employment and enhance the sector’s contribution to the country’s economic growth. The full report can be found here.
- The Youth Labour Market Assessment of 2018 builds on the primary research undertaken by YouLead and partner Verité Research. The assessment presents the key findings and recommendations that are pertinent to the private sector, the donor community and TVET training providers on the factors contributing to a youth skills gap vs. workforce requirements in Sri Lanka. The full assessment can be found here.
Skilled and Resilient Migrant Workers Project (SRMW)
Funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), IESC and YouLead are implementing the $1.5 million Skilled and Resilient Migrant Workers Project (SRMW). SRMW is designed to make overseas employment safer and more rewarding by providing better occupational information and by increasing the skill levels of Sri Lankans going abroad for work. It will also help reintegrate returning workers by assessing their capabilities and linking them to employment and entrepreneurship opportunities in Sri Lanka. With more than 50,000 migrant workers returning to Sri Lanka due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the SRMW project comes at a very critical time as many returnees have very few employment prospects. To deliver support to Sri Lankan migrant workers and civil society organizations working with migrants, SRMW will leverage the counseling, vocational skills development, and entrepreneurship support mechanisms built by YouLead.
YouLead improves technical and vocational education and training and increases the employability of young people in Sri Lanka. YouLead creates a more skilled and flexible workforce through activities that support and strengthen students, teachers, and institutions. Please read our most recent newsletter here.
Key Results Achieved to Date
By the end of 2020, YouLead had achieved the following results:
- 19,160 young Sri Lankans with new or better jobs
- 51,699 youth received career counseling or job placement services
- 1,484,136 people reached through YouLead outreach activities
- 60 technical curricula designed or improved
- 782 new businesses set up
- 919 career counselors trained to better match students to careers
- 874 financial institution staff received training related to increasing access to financial services for women and youth run enterprises
Project Duration: 2017-2024
Award: $18 million
Global Communities, American Chamber of Commerce, Ceylon Chamber of Commerce, Skills for Life, Verité Research